Whether they make you chuckle or shed a tear, Valentine’s Day cards are the perfect excuse to get you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. The key is to create something personalized and unique, however, but you’re not going to find this on your supermarket shelves.
Thankfully, designing the cover of your Valentine’s Day card using BeFunky’s Card Maker templates is the easy part (especially with our step-by-step guide). Yet, when it comes to writing the message, you may find yourself scratching your head. After all, what is a good quote for Valentine's Day? And how do you sum up your unique relationship with a special someone in just a sentence or two?
For those of you wondering “how do I wish my love a happy Valentine's Day?”, we’ve got you sorted. Keep reading to find out the perfect Valentine's message for your boyfriend, girlfriend, fiancé, husband, wife, friend, or more!
You’re Long-Time Lovers
Long-term lovebirds will have years and years of personal jokes, shared experiences, and meaningful memories to translate into their card, making the task at hand either very straightforward or extremely daunting. You’ve been through highs and lows, major milestones, and about a million dates by now, so what do you say to the person who means everything to you? Our advice is to keep it heartfelt and sincere with any of the following messages:
- “Happy Valentine’s Day to the most special person in my life. You are my love, my life, and my joy.”
- “Locks are never made without a matching key. Luckily for me, you came into this world with the key that unlocks my heart. It’s safe to say we’re meant to be!”
- “Home is wherever I’m with you.” – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- “You’ve always been my sunshine on a cloudy day, my shoulder to cry on, and my hand to hold when I needed you. You deserve this special day as a reminder of the impact you’ve had on my life.”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day to the love of my life! Thank you for always being so supportive (and for putting up with me!). You mean the world to me.”
It’s a Brand-New Relationship
There’s a special excitement in celebrating your first Valentine’s Day together, and even if it feels as though you’re just getting to know each other, you’ll still want to do something special to celebrate. A custom-designed card will reinforce how much you’re into your new girlfriend or boyfriend, whilst showing off your romantic side!
We get it though: you want to make a great impression without coming on too strong (especially if you two haven’t muttered the ‘L’ word yet). It’s also possible to express a Valentine’s Day message that is heartfelt without being too over-the-top.
So, want to know what to write in a Valentine's Day card for a new relationship? Just try any of these messages below:
- “Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.”
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “Your eyes lit up my world, your smile brightened my sky. Happy Valentine’s Day!”
- “Roses are red; violets are blue; life wouldn't be as sweet without you.”
- “I was never a fan of this holiday . . . until I met you. Happy Valentine’s Day!”
You Want to Be More Than Friends
Ah, the dreaded friend zone. If you find yourself in this not-so-desirable position, you’re in need of a Valentine’s Day card quote that’s sweet, yet straight to the point. You probably hang out with this special person all the time, dropping subtle hints and gestures to get their attention. When it comes to Valentine’s Day, however, you need to drop the subtlety and show them how you really feel with the following sayings:
- “I just want you to know that when I picture myself happy, it’s with you.”
- “If you can't get somebody off your mind, they are probably supposed to be there.”
- “I only want two things in this world: I want you and I want us.”
- “And suddenly, all the love songs were about you.”
- “I want to tell you how much you mean to me this Valentine’s Day. Because the truth is, I didn't know love before I met you”.
Your Love Has Been Fizzling
You might know the situation well: you move in with your significant other, only to find yourselves bogged down by a mundane daily routine. Gone are the days of spontaneity, with tasks like work commitments, cleaning, and cooking now taking priority on your to-do lists.
If you find your relationship is starting to lack its spark, then a beautifully designed Valentine’s Day card with a heart-warming message could be just the thing to reignite that flame!
- "In case you ever foolishly forget: I am never not thinking about you." - Virginia Woolf
- “I still fall for you every day. What I have with you I don’t want with anyone else.”
- “Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.” – Vincent van Gogh
- "Even after the roses fade, and through all the seasons of our life, I know our love will last. I love you, my special Valentine."
- “To my soulmate: I hope I can show you how much I love you on this special holiday and every other day. You are my world.”
You’re Excitedly Engaged
If you’ve recently been through the nerves, surprise, and excitement that a proposal brings and are feverishly scrolling Pinterest for wedding inspiration each night, then you’d be forgiven for not making Valentine’s Day a priority.
It’s important to take your mind off the engagement party/wedding planning for a few moments and turn your attention to expressing this excitement in a card to your future wife or husband. Don’t worry though, we’ve taken away all of the hard work with our recommended sayings below:
- “Happy Valentine’s Day my love. I can’t wait to tell the whole world that you will be forever mine and I will be forever yours. I am so happy that we are engaged!”
- “You are my strength, my joy, and my one true love. I love you with all my heart. I can’t wait to marry you. Happy Valentine’s Day!”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day to my soulmate. I can’t wait to stand up in front of all our friends and family and say YES to a lifetime with you!”
- “Roses are red; violets are blue; you are the love of my life; I can’t wait to marry you.”
- “There’s no one else I’d rather spend Valentine’s Day with. You mean the world to me, and I can’t wait to be your wife/husband.”
You Want to Keep Things Light and Silly
If you and your other half enjoy a good pun, then Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to embrace all things cheesy. Want to know what to write in a Valentine's card that’s funny? These messages are sure to bring on the laughs:
- "Are you a beaver, because DAM."
- “If you were a Transformer, you’d be Optimus FINE.”
- “Are you a banana? Because I find you a-peel-ing.”
- “Good thing I brought my library card, because I’m checkin’ you out.”
- “I love you more than pizza. And I really, really love pizza.”
You’re in a Long-Distance Relationship
You know what they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder, but what could be better than acknowledging your faraway love with a special Valentine’s Day card? It gives you something small and easy to send in the mail, whilst giving your partner a sweet surprise the next time they check their letterbox.
In a world that’s all about Skype and Instant Messenger, cards seem to be a lost art form. Show them how much you care by going the extra mile (no pun intended!).
- "Close together, or far apart, you're forever in my heart."
- "Distance means so little when someone means so much."
- "I may not get to see you as often as I like. I may not get to hold you in my arms all through the night. But deep in my heart I truly know, you're the one that I love, and I can't let you go."
- “We may be apart but true love is never inseparable.”
- “My heart has traveled a million miles just to spend time with you even when the rest of me can’t.”
Sometimes, relationships can’t be labeled or summed up within just a word. We get it, it’s complicated, but that doesn’t mean sending a Valentine’s Day card should be. Rather than getting caught up in the confusion, you can use this holiday to celebrate the relationship’s quirks.
- “Thanks for not calling me too much.”
- “There is no one else I’d rather lie in bed and look at my phone next to.”
- “I love you, but I also love my cat. It’s complicated.”
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.”
- “Thank you for existing.”
What Valentine’s Message Will You Choose?
Now that you know the various Valentine’s messages you can write for each relationship type, there’s just no stopping you! Whether your card is sassy, heartfelt, or incredibly funny, we know your special someone is sure to be impressed!
The first step, of course, is creating your unique and heartfelt Valentine’s Day card. Head to BeFunky’s Card Maker to get started!